top of page

How to Get a Copy of Your DD Form 214

Perhaps the most important military document you will ever receive is the DD Form 214, Discharge Papers and Separation Documents. This form serves as your proof of military service and is often used to verify military service for benefits such as the GI Bill, VA Loan, VA medical benefits, retirement benefits, employment, and membership in veteran’s organizations.

Because your DD Form 214 is so important, it is imperative you keep a copy of it for proof of service or eligibility for benefits, organization membership, or other programs. Unfortunately, things happen and your DD Form 214 can get lost or stolen. The following instructions can help you replace your DD Form 214 if you need another copy – for yourself or a loved one.

How to replace DD Form 214

Updated information was received from our Department Commander, John McCullough. As of September 8, 20018, if you need to replace your DD 214 or your Point Statement go to website or call 1-888-276-9472.

Required information to request replacement DD Form 214:

  • Veteran’s complete name used while in service.
  • Service number or Social security number.
  • Branch of service.
  • Dates of service.
  • Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
  • Recommended information (not required, but may help expedite the process): Purpose for request (applying for benefits, preparing to retire, researching personal military history), deadline, additional forms or information required.
  • If you believe your records may have been destroyed in the 1973 fire, then you should have the following information available:
  • Place of discharge.
  • Last unit of assignment.
  • Place of entry into the service, if known.

Who may request military records:

Only the veteran or the next of kin of a deceased veteran can request a complete copy of a member’s military service records (limited information may be available to the general public). If you are the next of kin of a deceased veteran and are requesting a copy of the veteran’s military records, you must provide proof of death of the veteran, such as a copy of death certificate, letter from funeral home, or published obituary.

Next-of-kin is defined as the surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother. If you are a relative of the deceased veteran, but are not considered next of kin, you can still request a copy of the military service records. Call the number above for more details.

bottom of page